Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm
This site provides information about the Cook County Assessor’s Office, which is responsible for assessing all properties in Cook County. You can use this site to look up the assessment and characteristics of your property as well as the other 1.8 million parcels of property in the county. This information can be used for appealing your properties assessed value online. It also contains information regarding property tax exemptions qualifications.
2018 Exemption Information
The 2018 senior renewal applications have been mailed with a due date of February 15th, 2019. This application was mailed to all seniors that were born in 1952 or earlier and had the exemption on their 2017 tax bill. Bring your 2017 IRS 1040 or proof of income for everyone who lives in your home and we can complete the application for you.
If you were born in 1953 stop by our office to apply for your senior exemption. If your 2017 household income is less than $65,000 bring your 2017 IRS 1040 or proof of income to apply. See below for all instructions and requirements.
- Property must be owner occupied on January 1, 2018.
- You must have a State of Illinois issued ID or Illinois Drivers License issued in 2017 or prior with the address of home applying an exemption for on it.
- If the home was purchased in 2018 - the Illinois I.D. or Illinois Driver's License must be issued in 2018 with the address of the home you are applying an exemption for on it.
- If the residence was purchased in 2018 and the property had an exemption in 2017, you must bring your closing documents.
- If State of Illinois ID or Illinois Drivers License (with address of home you are applying an exemption for on it) is issued in 2018, you must also bring a 2017 land line phone bill or 2017 internet/cable bill. If not, you must bring someone with you into our office, to sign an affidavit stating he/she has knowledge of when you purchased and moved in. This person cannot live at the same address with you. We have the affidavit in our office and we will notarize it.
Senior Citizen Exemption
- All Homeowner Exemption requirement
- Must be born in 1953 or earlier
Senior Freeze Exemption
- All Senior Exemption Requirements
- Property must have been owner occupied and used as principal residence, by the same owner on January 1, 2017 and January 1, 2018.
- The total gross household income for 2017 must be less than $65,000.
- Household income is calculated from the 2017 Income Tax Returns or, if you do not file income tax returns, bring proof of income from 2017 (pensions, Social Security, interest, dividends, unemployment, etc.)
- Total household income must be include all Social Security received
- Total household income includes all the income for EVERYONE that lives in the home
Disabled Persons Exemption
- All Homeowner Exemption requirements
- Homeowner must be disabled or become disable during the tax year
- Receive Social Security Disability. You must bring the award letter indicating the date the disability was granted or
- Have a completed PTAX-343-A form signed by your doctor to be approved by Cook County. This form is available in our office or online at www.cookcountyassessor.com.
Disabled Veteran and Returning Veteran Exemptions
- Contact our office or the Cook County Assessor’s office for requirements.