General Assistance

Leyden Township's General Assistance Program offers programs designed to help those in need of assistance. Those in need of help and not sure where to turn, can contact this office for direction.

The General Assistance program is a state mandated, locally administered welfare program designed to support township residents experiencing financial hardship. General Assistance is designed to be a safety net after all other resources have been exhausted. The General Assistance program can provide monthly financial assistance to eligible Leyden Township residents, who currently have no income due to lack of employment or are awaiting a decision on their Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claim. Eligible individuals can receive up to $319 a month towards rent or utilities, paid directly to the vendor on behalf of the client. The General Assistance office also offers referrals and information regarding eligibility for other assistance programs.


Basic requirements to determine eligibility including, but not limited to:

  • Resident of Leyden Township
  • Valid Photo ID with current Leyden Township Address
  • Birth Certificate
  • You must be at least 18 years of age or older, without minor children
  • Must meet specific financial, income, and asset guidelines set by the state
  • Proof of income for last 30 days
  • Not eligible for or not currently receiving other governmental assistance such as TANF, SSI, AABD, RRA, etc.
  • Not be currently under sanction from DHS (SNAP or TANF), SSI, or Unemployment
  • Must be currently registered with Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES)
  • Be unemployed and willing to seek employment or be in the process of applying for disability benefits (Must maintain a SSI application) or have a current, pending SSI case, and have medical documentation
  • Must meet all other Financial and Non-Financial Eligibility and Income and Asset Eligibility Factors

If you feel you are eligible for the General Assistance program, please call Lisa Bauer at 847-451-5112 or email to request an application.